Thursday, January 8, 2009

Blown Away

Okay, so I've looked at my schmarmy "price on joy" title for too long now-- I just haven't had much to say. Last Saturday's River Ride was a Belgian's Delight-- which means hang on for dear life. The North wind's a'blowin'! I have had to learn to ride elbows out in the gutter fighting for a wheel like a lamb on it's momma's teat. The pain is enough to cry for your mommy. There are some people I've heard in the peloton that say "I love it when it's like that!" Posh-- those are the type who can crank out 400+ watts for a long time. The wind is a "selective" factor (for those of you that don't know selective= you are going to get your ass kicked if you aren't really strong or skilled. I remember racing in the Martinez Crit in the rain a few years ago, which is technical. People were getting shelled left and right and the announcer says "This is a selective course." Uh, yeah). The bright spot is that in the past getting dropped meant never seeing another soul. This time I was with 20 odd wankers who went straight. I looked around and thought, "hey, these be some strong peeps!" Maybe I'm stronger.

I hope it isn't as windy this Saturday.

No comments: