Monday, September 10, 2007

Sly Park to Carson Pass
















I wasn't really thinking about what I was doing when I planned this ride. The idea was to get in some long climbing miles before the Knoxville Double Century coming up later this month. Well, yeah, I just like to spend all day on my bike climbing up hills looking at the beautiful scenery.

Reality set in on the first steeper pitch when I wasn't warmed up and the bugs swarmed me. I felt so much better back on my triple spinning up the hills. I hope someday that I won't need it! Power to weight ratio-- argh! Although, I have 65cm quads y'all!!

















Once I settled in things were nice. The weather was perfect and there were very few cars on the Mormon Emigrant Pass. It's a LONG climb. It pretty much goes up for 25 miles to Hwy. 88. I never would have dreamed as a kid that I'd be riding my bike up there. I think of all the times I drove up to Kirkwood to ski.

Unfortunately, I didn't get the email from the ride leader that the ride had been canceled, but apparently I wasn't the only one. It was four of us for the day, including a very experienced strong cyclist named Dan I. who proved nice company for Dino and I for the day.

We stopped at the Kirkwood A-frame super mini smallest store on earth closet for snickers and Gatorade and I stopped questioning my sanity. I got a great view of my favorite ski run- "Sentinel Bowl".

Carson Pass was just another 5 miles and about 1000 feet of climbing (it seemed like). The top was beautiful. Dino won the hill climb!!! Raised his hands for the victory. The nice docents and the Kit Carson Visitor's Center gave us water even though it was against the rules and then we were in for a long long descent with a few climbs thrown in.

The rain started pit patting on us after a couple of miles... then it got harder... then the hail started in. Hmm.. I was starting to see a connection. The last time I rode up Carson Pass with Dino on the Death Ride two years ago it hailed on us. Coincidence? I think not!!! We anger the weather gods!

Eventually, we outran the storm and powered up the last climbs.

85 miles with 8-10,000 feet of climbing!! Time to eat lots and lots!

No comments: